Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Veronica, Teams & Life



On July 14th, it marked the first year anniversary of Veronica’s death.  It showed me how quickly time has gone by. I knew exactly what I was doing that day; I knew exactly how I felt throughout the day, leading up to hearing about Veronica passing away and how I felt as I heard the news.

Veronica & Me
I stared at a picture of Veronica and me quite a few times throughout the day. Sean and I shared a few stories of Veronica with Nicole. I would tear up and cry a bit but I thanked God for the time that we were able to have Veronica in our lives.  It was short, but boy, it was so sweet!

Teams

Sandy’s team, Hope 2 Kenya, left Kitale on Sunday. What an awesome group they were. Our ten days with them were packed with stuff to do but as always, we had such a great time with them.  Here are some pictures from the food distribution we did with them.



We handed out food to over 300 widows and grandmothers caring for children. This is over 40,000 pounds of food. It’s always great to be a part of the food distributions with Hope 2 Kenya.


















The New York team that is here to build a children’s home for a friend of ours, is doing a great job. We’re on our last week with Team 2; they leave on Saturday while Team 3 arrives on Saturday.  These guys are working twelve hour days six days a week. I’m totally impressed with them.

Life

As some of you may have seen through Facebook, Sean and I are slowly making the house we moved into in May, a home. We still have a few things that we’d like to do but we know that it can’t all be done overnight.  Here is a little sample of our home.

BeforeAfter     


BeforeAfter



BeforeAfter



My good friend Nicole Jeffs, is here for five weeks to visit us, the projects and the kids. It’s been wonderful having her around, with her laughter, her funny stories, and her friendship. It’s been so refreshing for me.




For those of you who don’t know how to cook or really don’t like to cook, you should come to Kenya. J  There is no frozen dinner section at the grocery store; there are no canned dinners (unless you just want canned corn and peas!); there are no ready cleaned, peeled and cut potatoes for mashed potato night. Everything here is pretty much made fresh.

Since moving to Kenya and especially since getting married, I have enjoyed the life of fresh food meals and not so much of the frozen or processed way of life back home (okay, except for the odd box of Macaroni & Cheese!).

I have found the World Wide Web to be wonderful in finding recipes to help ensure that my family and friends have full bellies when I cook and not just full bellies but happy bellies. A friend of mine, Jane, told me how to make sour cream because it’s rare to find sour cream here and if you do find it, it tastes kind of funny. So yesterday, I tried it and it worked! Fresh sour cream and it tastes amazing.  Baked potatoes with sour cream and chives anyone!!!   And to be honest, it’s not much work to make it; I don’t slave over the kitchen all day making it. It’s an overnight/day thing and it’s done. J

I really like this “Betty Crocker” thing. I love experimenting...Sean hasn’t died yet so I think my experiments with cooking are doing all right!

Sean and I are doing great. Next month will be a year and a half of married life and I wouldn’t change a minute of it. Being with him shows me that he was definitely worth the wait of all these years. For those with inquiring minds, yes, children are in the future but for now we are enjoying time with each other and when we know it’s God’s time for children, we’ll be all for it. J

In Him,
Meredith

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Kenya's Time

Nairobi

 

Copyright © 2008 Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez | Blog Templates created by Web Hosting Men