Saturday, October 9, 2010

Birthday & Interns


I, Meredith, LOVE birthdays; not just mine but everyone’s birthdays. I love that we get to celebrate someone and thanking God for them. Mind you, celebrating someone and thanking God for them just shouldn’t be a once a year event but the fact that it’s a party celebration, well....I love it.

I love preparing birthday parties for my friends. I love getting people together and sitting back and watching everyone enjoy each other’s company. I love being a hostess and going all “Martha Stewart” on the event. Even having people over, I make sure that the table is set all nice looking.

I love baking cakes and the recent cake of choice is an ice-cream cake. I found a recipe (and it’s so not hard) and I make ice-cream cakes now. Total hit!

Again, I just love how family and friends come together to celebrate someone.

On October 5th, was my 34th birthday; however on October 3rd, my friends, Jeff &; Carla, put together a surprise birthday party for me. I seriously had NO idea. Sean and I were supposed to have lunch with them and when I showed up at the Coffee Shop (it’s a really sweet restaurant where they serve North American style food!), there were some of my dearest friends under streamers and balloons, saying “Surprise!”

Yummy Cake!








My friend Theresa made a wonderful cake; I got beautiful flowers and an awesome Kenyan style birthday card, signed by everyone. And they contributed for me to have a dresser made. I so desperately need a dresser and Sean knew that and orchestrated that with our friends.






What an awesome group of friends I have here! Thank you again to my dear friends who celebrated my birthday that day with me.


















On the actual day of my birthday, I spent the day out at our friend’s, Jeff & Carla, children’s home. It’s called In Step Foundation (http://www.instepfoundation.com/news.php and http://www.rehemaministries.com/ChildrensHome.asp). I spent the day lovin’ on little babies, like Baby Sean (who’s named after my handsome husband!)


Baby Sean & Baby Meredith (inseparable)
Baby Sean & Baby Meredith (totally cute)

Later that evening, Sean took me for dinner to one of our favourite places, the Karibuni Lodge. It’s a friend’s Bed & Breakfast; it overlooks the Cherangani Hills. We sat outside on the veranda with the candles lit; the whole place to ourselves.  Then we back to TI and shared a cake, Chocolate Stout Cake, which Sean had slaved over for HOURS for my birthday. My sweet friend, Kim (and her family) was there and her gift for me was a recipe book. I loved it!
It was a great birthday; I truly enjoyed it. I really am thankful for the friends I have here.



Interns

The interns just completed their fifth week here in the program. I can’t believe how quickly time has gone by. They are a GREAT group of young women who have an INCREDIBLE desire to be here. They want to get involved with so many different projects; they are learning to use their gifts in amazing ways. They want to strive to know about themselves and about God and their relationship with Him. They’re fantastic!

Here are our interns:





Robin:  She loves our friend’s In-Step Children’s Home. She’s helping to paint wonderful pictures on the walls of our Veronica Home kids’ room.  She enjoys getting to know our new Shimo group of young moms. She loves on the sick dog at the TI compound.














Ellie: She loves our Veronica Home kids. She enjoys going to the local hospital and making children laugh. She desires to learn as much Swahili as she can while she’s here. She LOVES to dance.











Rebekah:  She loves serving others all the time, everywhere. She loves going to the local hospital and on any medical visit available. She loves smiling and being around everyone.








 


Kara:  She loves hugging on the Veronica Home kids. She is doing bible stories with our Veronica Home kids every week.  She loves being with the Neema girls.








Chrisy:  She loves on any child she can get her hands on. She’s a wonderful artist and is painting awesome animals on the walls of our Veronica Home kids’ room.  She is learning as much Swahili as she can while she is here.














Saprina:  She loves the Neema girls so much and wants to invest in them. She is learning how to do Kenyan hair in a local salon. She is one of the most real people I have ever met.








Interns with the Shimo Girls Group (young mothers)
Each of these young women has so much to offer the people of Kenya. Their hearts are incredibly big and their passion is just a grand. I’m looking forward to spending six more weeks with them. The time is going by so fast. :-(








Dancing with the Veronica Home kids



Pray for the interns; for the remaining time that they have left here. Pray that they do all that they hoped to have done; that they don’t leave here with a single regret but enjoy every single minute they have left.  Thank you!













Oh, and to our family and friends back in Canada....Happy Thanksgiving! Today, I thank God for each and every one of you. Thank you for your support, love, prayers and encouragement. You have NO IDEA how much Sean and I appreciate it. We love you!

In Him,
Meredith

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Kenya's Time

Nairobi

 

Copyright © 2008 Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez | Blog Templates created by Web Hosting Men