Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chaos + 104 = Love: Day 3



This morning, Sean and I wanted the older children to gather around Melissa and pray for her. And so we got them all together, put Melissa in the middle and we all laid hands on her and prayed.  Then Sean drove her and Hoglah (our social worker) to the hospital where she was admitted and tomorrow morning the surgery will take place. So please continue to pray for her surgery tomorrow.

We also did an afternoon clinic run for four children: the first was diagnosed with malaria, the second has a stomach bug, the third has diaper rash and the fourth has a blocked ear. All of them are on antibiotics now and should be doing better in a day or two.

On Wednesdays, it’s the bread and tomato purchase so while Sean was taking Hoglah and Melissa to the hospital, he bought them. He bought 24 loaves of bread which only last two days here (bread is bought three times a week) and 20kgs of tomatoes. This too will last only a few days. Tomatoes are a big cooking ingredient here. Thankfully, with the greenhouses donated to In Step, we’re starting to grow our own tomatoes.

There is a little boy (about a year and a half old) here named Sean. Yes, he is named after Sean Stewart but take it from me; they don’t really look that much alike. J Anyway, Little Sean fell and hurt himself today. He scraped up his leg pretty good and there was some blood dripping from it so all the little children were calling for me, “Mama Mary, Mama Mary.” They brought Sean over to me so that I could see his boo-boo. I took him inside the house and cleaned up his leg and then put a band-aid on it. He stared at it and then at me, probably thinking, “What the heck is this that you just put on my leg?”

I took him back outside and all the children gathered around him, pointing and touching the band-aid. They asked me in Swahili what it was; I told them it was a band-aid. At one point, Little Sean had to seek refuge behind me because all the children were pointing and touching his leg. Some of the older ones knew what it was and were informing me that Little Sean had a band-aid on his leg. Just in case I wasn’t aware.

Now that the band-aid was the talk of the town, children of all ages, were coming up to me with their boo-boos, even ones that had healed over and were weeks or even months old, saying they needed a band-aid. Yeah, I was born in the morning, but not this morning. I wasn’t going to let their cute chubby faces and pouty lips get away with that one. J

This afternoon, I was in the veranda with the babies and aunties when Sean walked in. Samuel (he’s a pastor here that comes with his wife on Wednesdays to be with the children; his wife does the girl’s hair and on Sundays to teach the children) walked over to Sean and told him that some of the aunties needed Sean.  In a joking manner, I said, “He’s mine!” Everyone BURSTED out laughing. The aunties were embarrassed and laughed the hardest and my husband turned three shades of red.  Thankfully, he thought it was a good one.

Tonight’s dinner was AWESOME. We had sausages and deep-fried/breaded potatoes. The potatoes are the best part...probably because they are breaded AND deep-fried. Who doesn’t like deep-fried food?

After the younger children went to bed, Sean and I brought out glow sticks for the 12 older children. We turned out the lights on the veranda, got the glow sticks glowing and had fun. Who knew glow sticks could be so entertaining? J

Well, I think it’s time to sign off. Cindy’s belly is full and she is nuzzled in bed. Sean’s eyes are heavy and he’s nuzzled in bed. So I should follow suit and nuzzle into bed too.

Good night everyone.

Much Love,
Meredith

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Kenya's Time

Nairobi

 

Copyright © 2008 Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez | Blog Templates created by Web Hosting Men