Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Overdue Update



It’s been awhile since we’ve sent an update out.

We’ve been to and from Canada and we’ve had friends from our home church, Newmarket Alliance, come and stay with us for about two weeks.  That in and of itself, was amazing.

It’s always so wonderful having family/friends come and visit us overseas.  It’s nice to have a bit of our other home come and visit our life and home here. I think that it gives the people back home a small glimpse or sense as to what life is like here for us. It shows the love for the kids; the love for the people and country but yet, also a small glimpse of the struggles and difficulties that we face.  A few weeks can’t give our family and friends the complete picture but they have a little bit more of a better understanding and when we visit Canada again, they will understand a bit more when we need to be encouraged, fed and rejuvenated.

The rainy season is officially upon us. It rains every single day...oh except for that one day earlier this week.  Every afternoon at In Step, it consists of 109 children trying to release the abundance of energy that they would normally expel outside; instead they’re on the 100ft veranda – all together in one room. Colouring only lasts so long. Songs only last so long. Barney or Sesame Street only last so long. It’s an exhausting time for everyone.

Rainy season also means terrible roads in the community we live in and the roads out by In Step. Sean had a guys’ night here last night and it was supposed to start at 7:00pm but it didn’t actually start until about 9:30pm.  The town council thinks they fix our roads (yeah right!) but when you plough a dirt road and don’t pack it down in the middle of the rainy season, well the road just becomes a farmer’s field. So vehicles were stuck, vehicles stalled out, vehicles were left on the side of the road overnight. But they all had a great time, laughed a lot and have a great story to tell about their night.   I love that the men have guys’ night!!

Rainy season also means random power outages. Well, we always have power outages, even in the dry season. It’s as if there is a rain drop in China, the power here goes out. But the power outages are far more frequent in the rainy season. Like right now, for example, as I type this, the power is out.  I’m just thankful that we do have power, when we have it.  It means I keep a freezer with meat in it; it means I can keep milk and cheese and yogurt (as long as the power doesn’t stay off for too long!).

Sean and I are doing well, health wise.  I haven’t had malaria in almost a month. Yay!!!   Today has been a bit of an emotional struggle for me; it’s Mother’s Day.  I would be due with our first baby in two weeks.  I didn’t think Mother’s Day would be hard (I assumed the due date would be the only hard day) but it turns out, it is a difficult day for me too. 

Tears are healing so I let them flow today. My husband’s hugs are comforting so I welcome them continuously. God’s promise is encouraging so I cling to it always.  

A random update but an update nonetheless.

Much Love,
Meredith

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Kenya's Time

Nairobi

 

Copyright © 2008 Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez | Blog Templates created by Web Hosting Men